The University is committed to creating an environment where people with disabilities have equal opportunity to enjoy campus programs, activities, and benefits. The University prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of disability in its programs, services, and activities. The ADA Compliance Officer for UC Santa Barbara supports the campus community in meeting its responsibilities with respect to persons with disabilities under Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), federal and state law, and the University of California Guidelines Applying to Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability.
Specifically, the ADA Compliance Officer:
- Ensures that policies/procedures are in place to guide campus with respect to accommodating, and providing access to, individuals with disabilities and that all campus departments are educated in their responsibilities under federal and state disability law.
- Interprets federal and state disability law for the entire campus, using Supreme and Appellate Court decisions, legislative guidance, UCOP directives, best business practices and other research materials.
- Assists in resolving concerns regarding physical barriers on campus and develops projects to improve access for person with disabilities.
- Staffs the campus Advisory Committee on Campus Access. Coordinates selection of members representing the faculty, staff and students. Coordinates meetings, agendas and action plans with Committee Chair.
- Facilitates informal resolution of disability-related complaints from students, faculty, staff and members of the public. Serves as review point and coordinator for formal disability complaints.